Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » When I start Oracle Server what happens?
When I start Oracle Server what happens? [message #53437] Thu, 19 September 2002 11:45 Go to next message
Allathur
Hi,
I need to about "When I start Oracle Server what happens?" Like when instance is started SGA is allocated, background processes are started, alert file is ready and initialization parameters are read.
Thanks in advance
Allathur
Re: When I start Oracle Server what happens? [message #53484 is a reply to message #53437] Mon, 23 September 2002 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
You got is right so far.

What you issue from the svrmgrl : startup Oracle goes through the following phases:

1. nomount - init.ora file is read and the SGA is allocated. the location of the control files is read, and they are checked if could be opened.

2. mount - the control files are read, the location of the datafiles is read, the datafiles are checked against the list in the control file. the background proceses are started.

3. open - the headers of the datafiles are checked against the information in the control files, the same for the redo log files, the headers are then updated and database is open.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: When I start Oracle Server what happens? [message #53501 is a reply to message #53437] Tue, 24 September 2002 13:58 Go to previous message
Allathur
Thank you Trifon
Previous Topic: Oracle not available
Next Topic: Problem with Index organized tables in Oracle 8.1.5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:52:17 CDT 2024