Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Moving from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 9i : Issues !!
Moving from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 9i : Issues !! [message #53956] Mon, 21 October 2002 11:07 Go to next message
Amit Kumar
Hi ,
We are thinking of moving from oracle 7.3.2(HP-UX) to Oracle 9i(Sun-Solaris). Our frontend is Developer 2000. Can You help me with the following :
1. Cant I Just do an export / import to move on ? Do I need some migration assistant ?
2. Is there some UNIX related issue I might face as we are moving from HP-UX to SUN ?
3. Can I still use the same developer 2000 application without any change to my codes in developer 2000 ?

Your help will be sincerely appreciated !!
thanks
Amit
Re: Moving from Oracle 7.3.2 to Oracle 9i : Issues !! [message #53959 is a reply to message #53956] Mon, 21 October 2002 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
1. Not at all. You will get non-working 9i database, since the data dictionary was changed since 7.3.2 version. You have to do two steps approach:

- upgrade 7.3.2 release to release 7.3.4. You can find the instructions to follow in Oracle7 Server Migration Manual.

- upgrade the release 7.3.4 database to 9i release. Again the documentation will give you the exact steps to follow. Refer to chapter 3, "Upgrading a Database to the New Oracle9i Release" and appendix D, "Upgrading an Oracle7 Database Using the MIG Utility" from the 9i documentation.

Hope you know where is the on-line documentation.

2. Your issues will be less, since HP-UX is notorious buggy (even Oracle ran away from it). Solaris is much more solid as OS.

3. That one you have to test. You are not planning to roll out the migration w/o any testing first, are you???

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Don't USE MIG ASSISTANT ! [message #53963 is a reply to message #53959] Tue, 22 October 2002 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
Hi,

U should use Export/import to migrate Ur database.

Because UR not just migrate database ... OS too !

Because U can't use HP-UNIX Oracle datafile on SUN SOLARIS. Oracle create different format for datafile depending OS ( even if it was two UNIX ). Try to copy Ur 7.3 database on SUN if U don't believe me. Oracle will tell U that the datafiles are corrupted.

Only export/import can solve the probleme to migrate from another plateform.
Re: Don't USE MIG ASSISTANT ! [message #53979 is a reply to message #53963] Tue, 22 October 2002 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
For moving from platform to platform and keeping the same version of the database, export/import will be the only one way, but not for migrating. Export/import WILL NOT WORK if you migrate 7.3.2 to 9i database. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE....

Data dictionary is not the same in the both versions. The Migration Assistant is executing scripts to upgrade the data dictionary besides all other steps required.

As I posted, read the manuals to avoid wasting valuable time.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Don't USE MIG ASSISTANT ! [message #54016 is a reply to message #53963] Thu, 24 October 2002 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B
Don't have Oracle 9i ...
But export should be compatible ( ascendant )

I use it to migrate from 7.343 to 8.174 ... and the dictionnary is different

But may be Trifon as right ... but U can try it ...
Re: Don't USE MIG ASSISTANT ! [message #54117 is a reply to message #53963] Wed, 30 October 2002 13:53 Go to previous message
Amit Kumar
Thanks a lot !!
However, my database (currently) is really small .. 14 tables with arnd 2000 records in each.
Can i use the brute force appraoch- Create new tables and upload all of them with my data ?

Will this take care of the data dictionary in Oracle 9i ?

Will i still be able to use my old forms4.5 and reports 2.5 ?
Previous Topic: Changing Database Name
Next Topic: ORA-03232
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:43:20 CDT 2024