Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Number of applications accessing DB to increase, what should I be planning for?
Number of applications accessing DB to increase, what should I be planning for? [message #56156] Mon, 10 March 2003 00:36
Christopher Mikos
Hey, this is my first time posting, so please be gentle. I am not sure what information to include here. I have had one app with about 20 users connecting to my Oracle 8.1.7 server on W2K which then had a companion web app(using some flavor of Tomcat)which creates a connection pool with 20 connections. The hardware, SCSI RAID-5 with a hot spare, 1GB of RAM, Dual PIII 1GHz(with nothing specially configured in Oracle for them). I will be adding one more canned app which will access the DB which will probably end up having some kind of app server creating another connection pool for a companion web app, then I will have about 5 other custom built web apps which I have designed the schema's for and will be running the(JSP-Servlet) front ends through Apache-Tomcat(mod_jk)which will need(obviously)some connections from a pool(s). Right now the canned app and Tomcat are on the same hardware as Oracle(they are to be moved to my super duper web/app server though, and no future apps or web/app stuff will be running on the machine just Oracle)

So, having said all that!

I will be creating new tablespaces for all of these new apps(web or otherwise)and running the DDL scripts which I or the canned application provider will provide to implement the schemas. What should I look out for here?(i.e. effects of DDL on existing schema)

I was thinking of getting a storage rack so that I could have each system using a different RAID array?(put new tablespaces on them)

Connection Pools, should I let the canned apps have their own pools and use my pool for my custom apps or should I have one big pool for all of them(which may or may not be possible, due to configurability of canned apps)?

Should my apps each have their own pool?

Finally, what should I be thinking of in terms of increasing RAM for the server to accomodate the new applications?

I was happy when it was just me and my one app, but I want to be prepared before all of the others are added.

Any response to some or all of my concerns is much appreciated!

tks
Chris
Previous Topic: ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump
Next Topic: ORA-00604 and ORA-00904 [URGENT]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:43:05 CDT 2024