Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Remote Access
Remote Access [message #56729] Mon, 21 April 2003 01:10 Go to next message
Pravin
Hi,

I want to access one database schema which is at some other geographical area. I want to access that database using SQL*PLUS or TOAD not iSQLplus. Will anyone please help me in this.

1. How to configure the database ?
2. How to configure my cliend software for the same ?

thanks in advance.

Rgds

Pravin
Re: Remote Access [message #56731 is a reply to message #56729] Mon, 21 April 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anand
1. You have to configure "listener.ora" on the server ( This would be by default )

2. On your client machine, you should add the server's details in the "tnsnames.ora" file. For that you should know the database name, server DNS name/IP address, port #. Check out the other default entries in tnsnames for an idea.

You are good to go.

TOAD software automatically picks the entries up from the tnsnames.ora file in the client machine.
Re: Remote Access [message #56758 is a reply to message #56729] Tue, 22 April 2003 12:58 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
First make sure you have network access to the remote host. Then create a tnsnames.ora entry for the remote db. Something like that

REMOTEDB =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = remotehost.domain.com)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = REMOTE_DB_SID)
)
)

Once done - check the

$ tnsping REMOTEDB

and of course the SQL*Plus

$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect user/password@remotedb

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: difference between fast_start_io_target and log_checkpoint_interval
Next Topic: dedicated cpu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:40:53 CDT 2024