Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 9i installation in Windows 98
Oracle 9i installation in Windows 98 [message #56949] Thu, 08 May 2003 20:47 Go to next message
Deepak
I am having problem with starting up the oracle service. When I click on start oracle 9i database from the start->programs->oracle->database administration menu, I get a dialog box asking for the password. I have tried several passwords from internal,change_on_install, etc., but it doesn't seem to respond. Could anyone let me know what the default password is for starting the oracle 9i database. I greatly appreciate it.

My system is windows 98 second edition. The steps I already completed were
1. create the init<sid>.ora
2. start oradim -new -sid<sid> -intpwd<password>
3. set OS environment(oralce_sid,etc.,)

The fourth step is start sqlplus sys/change_on_install as sysdba. Here it displays the same dialog box that came when I started the oracle from start->programs->oracle->database administration. I don't know what the password is or the default is . Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please let me know.
Re: Oracle 9i installation in Windows 98 [message #56952 is a reply to message #56949] Thu, 08 May 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mb
Check the SID in configuration file tnsnames.ora and also check the database service is up.
If it does not work then cut and paste the error message to the reply.
MB
Re: Oracle 9i installation in Windows 98 [message #56963 is a reply to message #56952] Fri, 09 May 2003 06:48 Go to previous message
Deepak
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not see a tnsnames.ora file created after installation of oracle 9i software alone. These are the steps I did.

1. Download oracle 9i from oracle website
2. Install only the oracle 9i software without creating a starter database so that I can create this manually.
3. From DOS c:> prompt, start oradim to create a new service. I gave the SID as orcl and password as orcl
4. In DOS c:> prompt, set any os variables explicitly like ORACLE_SID, etc.,
5. Then I type in SQLPLUS sys as sysdba
6. Enter Password was displayed. I entered orcl which I set in the step 3 when creating the service.
7. Then oracle service started and a GUI password screen was displayed. I entered orcl again but after three tries, I was disconnected and the error message, unable to connect to oracle after 3 tries comes.

Now I am not sure, if I am missing any steps like tnsnames.ora file creation, etc.,

I greatly appreciate if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Deepak
Previous Topic: Oracle Server Upgrade from 9.0.1.0 to 9.2.0.1
Next Topic: I have problems with I/O
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:57:43 CDT 2024