Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » problem with MTS
problem with MTS [message #57393] Wed, 11 June 2003 09:33 Go to next message
JUAN
Some weeks ago I posted a problem of a Oracle 7.3 database running with dedicated servers on SCO Unix.

The problem is that the listener hangs frequently for some reason that I donīt know. It seems that this problem itīs related with processes creation.

The only way that i find to solve this problem is change the database from dedicated servers to MTS configuration.

Now the problem is that some applications cannot insert records into tables that have long rows.

Somebody knows something about this problem?

Thanks
Re: problem with MTS [message #57399 is a reply to message #57393] Thu, 12 June 2003 03:42 Go to previous message
Xenofon Grigoriadis
Hi,

I don't know if this has something to do with your problems, but when I read MTS, I have an idea, out of my experience in the last days.

After switching to Oracle ODBC-Drivers I would get the ORA-02074 Error whenever an Oracle procedure, which was called from a windows client (through the ODBC drivers) was trying to commit or rollback a transaction.

I found out, that the reason was - guess what - MTS, Microsoft Transaction Server. In Oracle ODBC-Drivers it is enabled by default, but this causes the oracle-DBMS to produce the ORA-02074 every time you try to commit or rollback the transaction.

Solution:
* disable MTS.

I you are realy using those ODBC-drivers, then you have a checkbox for disabling MTS in the drivers configuration mask. If your applications you mention, are windows applications, like in my case, connecting to Oracle via ODBC, then it is likely that your problems are the same like mine. The good thing with Oracle ODBC is the checkbox for disabling MTS.

Try to figure out, whether the problem with not inserting rows, is the ORA-02074 error, I described, this should be easy to figure out.

One more thing to consider: What about taking all transaction processing out of the stored procedures? Let the client applications handle them. Perhaps it all works also with MTS, somehow, if you change your tranaction handling. But I don't know exactly how.

Hope it helps...
Previous Topic: Table size estimation
Next Topic: how to restore the old password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:43:00 CDT 2024