Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » poor performance after 9i upgrade
poor performance after 9i upgrade [message #57595] Wed, 25 June 2003 02:56 Go to next message
sender
We recently upgrade from 8.1.7 to 9i. Our application run poorly afterward. Some OLTP type store proc took 2-3 times longer to complete. But some reporting store proc is significantly faster. Posting to Metalink, they asked us to "tune the DB". We have no experienced DBA, just have some class-room DBA training. Can anybody give us some hints where should we look at.
Re: poor performance after 9i upgrade [message #57596 is a reply to message #57595] Wed, 25 June 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siddharth Bahri
Analyze the schema using the following package:

begin
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS(
ownname=>'--YOUR_SCHEMA_NAME--',
estimate_percent=>DBMS_STATS.AUTO_SAMPLE_SIZE,
method_opt=>'AUTO'
);
end;

or

begin
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS(
ownname=>'--YOUR_SCHEMA_NAME--',
estimate_percent=>25,
block_sample=>true
);
end;

This will generate all the stats for the schema and will help the cost based optimizer to select a more efficient execution plan which will make the queries faster.

-Siddharth
Re: poor performance after 9i upgrade [message #57604 is a reply to message #57595] Wed, 25 June 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
TO START WITH,

VALIDATE ALL THE OBJECTS AND RECREATE THE INDEXES. then,

1. analyze your tables.
2. set the optimization mode.
3. increase the defualt values of SORT_AREA_SIZE to a higher value and make it equal to SORT_AREA_SIZE.

if these are not helping, look into the execution plan

Re: poor performance after 9i upgrade [message #57621 is a reply to message #57596] Thu, 26 June 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sender
Thanks for the reply. But let me check if I understand it correctly. The package you provide will gather stats. So I should run it with 8.1.7. gather the stats and feed it to 9i so that the 9i optimizer will use the stats to determine the execution plan. Is this the whole idea?
Re: poor performance after 9i upgrade [message #57626 is a reply to message #57621] Thu, 26 June 2003 06:41 Go to previous message
Siddharth Bahri
No. Just run the procedure with the given or your own parameters. This will gather stats for the 9i cost based optimizer. If you dont gather stats for your whole schema then by default the rule based obtimizer will be used to prepare the execution plans which may be not as efficient as plans prepared by the cost based optimizer.

Cost based optimizer uses the stats to select the most effiecint plan based on the costs it calculates for all the plans that can be used to execute this query. while the rule based optimizer just uses a set of rules to prepare a plan

HTH
-Siddharth
Previous Topic: space available in temporary tablespace is 0
Next Topic: ora 1630 max # extents (%s) reached in temp segment in tablespace %
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:36:54 CDT 2024