Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c
Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682673] Sun, 08 November 2020 03:27 Go to next message
bluefoxxp
Hello,
I have a customer that doesnt want to have VM but physical machines for Oracle Database. Version is 19c.
Also he doesnt want to buy Enterprise Edition but only Standard Edition, which means I don't have Data Guard available.

Which possibilities do I have to perform manual failover in this scenario?

One scenario that I have in mind:
I use RMAN to duplicate the main database regularly. If the main DB is not accessible by the Oracle clients, the Oracle clients will automatically listen to the duplicated database as both are contained in the tnsname.org file.
Is this scenario working with Standard Edition 19c?

Thanks!
Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682674 is a reply to message #682673] Sun, 08 November 2020 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

The standard solution is a manual standby. Force a log switch every (say) 5 minutes, copy the archives to the other site (or use NFS), schedule a cron job to apply them.
Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682675 is a reply to message #682673] Sun, 08 November 2020 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Here's a video to do it.

Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682676 is a reply to message #682674] Sun, 08 November 2020 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
An alternative is an incrementally updated backup. You don't have block change tracking in Standard Edition, but (depending on the size of the database) you may still be able to do an update two or three times an hour. Saves the cost of a second database licence.

And of course have you looked at Standard Edition High Availability? It isn't database failover, but the instance failover is near zero downtime and zero data loss. And does not need a second licence.
Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682679 is a reply to message #682676] Mon, 09 November 2020 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluefoxxp
John Watson wrote on Sun, 08 November 2020 12:49
An alternative is an incrementally updated backup. You don't have block change tracking in Standard Edition, but (depending on the size of the database) you may still be able to do an update two or three times an hour. Saves the cost of a second database licence.

And of course have you looked at Standard Edition High Availability? It isn't database failover, but the instance failover is near zero downtime and zero data loss. And does not need a second licence.
So, if I understand you correctly, it can happen that data is lost when I only rely on manual backups for failover. If I do manual backups (either incrementally or fully) each 1 minutes and the main database fails 9 minutes after the last backup, I loose the data of all these 9 minutes.
Right?

Regarding Standard Edition High Availability (SEHA): According to my investigation on Internet, it is only valid for clusters. But in my case I have dedicated workstations for the databases, no cluster. So I cannot apply it right?
Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682680 is a reply to message #682679] Mon, 09 November 2020 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You can apply what is described in the video I posted. If you'd tried it you'd already have a functional standby database.
Did you watch it?

[Updated on: Mon, 09 November 2020 01:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682681 is a reply to message #682679] Mon, 09 November 2020 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
There is no question that the best solution for minimizing data loss is a manual standby. The only issue is that both sides must be licensed. I gave you two other solutions that do not, as you implied that money might be a problem.
Though if your client is OK with paying you for this sort of basic advice, perhaps not Smile
Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682682 is a reply to message #682681] Mon, 09 November 2020 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluefoxxp
Michel Cadot wrote
Here's a video to do it.
This video shows me HOW to do log switching. It doesn't compare solutions but this is what I was looking for.

John Watson wrote on Mon, 09 November 2020 08:32
There is no question that the best solution for minimizing data loss is a manual standby. The only issue is that both sides must be licensed. I gave you two other solutions that do not, as you implied that money might be a problem.
Though if your client is OK with paying you for this sort of basic advice, perhaps not Smile
Indeed money is the issue Smile

So even if I do an incremental backup, I need a machine on which I can apply it after the main machine died.
If I apply it on a second machine, I have to license this one too if I understand Oracle's licensing policy correctly..

[Updated on: Mon, 09 November 2020 04:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682683 is a reply to message #682682] Mon, 09 November 2020 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
This video shows me HOW to do log switching. It doesn't compare solutions but this is what I was looking for.
No, this video shows how to create and manage a standby database.
Look at it again.

Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682684 is a reply to message #682683] Mon, 09 November 2020 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluefoxxp
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 09 November 2020 12:10

Quote:
No, this video shows how to create and manage a standby database.
Look at it again.

Exactly, it shows HOW to do it Smile

I want to know: IN CASE I do it like that, do I need a second license for the machine that is taken as replacement for the died one or not?
Re: Failover with Oracle Standard Edition 2 19c [message #682686 is a reply to message #682684] Mon, 09 November 2020 12:37 Go to previous message
John Watson
Quote:
do I need a second license for the machine that is taken as replacement for the died one or not?
For questions like this, you really need to pay an Oracle partner (I work for good one Smile ) for advice. Technical questions, sure, you can get help on a forum from public-spirited people who give their time for free, but for licensing you need something that you can quote when you are busted for being out of compliance.
Previous Topic: catalog datacopy file very slow
Next Topic: Restoring Oracle db to new server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:07:47 CDT 2024