Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » migrating users form one Databas to another
migrating users form one Databas to another [message #59132] Thu, 30 October 2003 14:56 Go to next message
Lance Pris
I am not a oracle DBA but have been placed in the role.

My situation is as follows I need to migrate all the users from one database to another.

I am working on Oracle 9i and noticed there is a file called user.dbf that looks like the right one. Is it possible to just move the folder or is there a procedure to follow.

If anyone knows where to find some good documentation about this task it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Lance
Re: migrating users form one Databas to another [message #59135 is a reply to message #59132] Thu, 30 October 2003 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

Dont copy that user.dbf file to another database, bcz it will not solve ur problem. To migrate all of ur users from one database to another u have to recreate them in newer one. Bcz in ur existing database the users will have different priveleges on different database objects which may not be present in ur newer database.
Re: migrating users form one Databas to another [message #59143 is a reply to message #59132] Fri, 31 October 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
user.dbf is just a datafile belonging to one of your tablespaces and has got nothing to do with your Oracle users(except that your users could have their default tablespace assigned to say USERS tablespace which has user.dbf datafile).

Are you talking about just 'users' who do not own any database objects ? In that case,extract the user creation scripts from your source database and modify accordingly(tablespace,quota,password,privileges etc) if necessary and run them on your target database.

If these users own database objects(ie schema), precreate the users on your target database with necessary privileges,quota on tablespaces etc and do a user level export of these owners from the source database and do a user level import into the target database ..to migrate their schemas over.

Refer to Utilities guide for more info on export/import.

-Thiru
Re: migrating users form one Databas to another [message #59148 is a reply to message #59143] Fri, 31 October 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Navneet
Hi thiru,
from which view we extract user creation script from a database?
regards
navneet
Re: migrating users form one Databas to another [message #59186 is a reply to message #59148] Mon, 03 November 2003 05:27 Go to previous message
Thiru
I generally use some tools for reverse engineering anything..like Toad etc...

Something like this can be used :

set heading off verify off feedback off echo off term off linesize 200 wrap on

spool Recreate_Users.sql

SELECT 'create user ' || username ||
' identified ' ||
DECODE(password, NULL, 'EXTERNALLY', ' by values ' || '''' || password || '''') ||
' default tablespace ' || default_tablespace ||
' temporary tablespace ' || temporary_tablespace ||
' profile ' || profile || ';'
FROM dba_users
ORDER BY username;

spool off

This will just create the users with the same password .You will then need to take care of roles,grants etc..(scripts again )

-Thiru
Previous Topic: User Creation Script /Thiru
Next Topic: Diff between ALL_ROWS & CHOOSE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:24:14 CDT 2024