Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Built-ins make me sick!
Built-ins make me sick! [message #126091] Thu, 30 June 2005 21:33 Go to next message
code_scavenger
I am really confused in built-ins of Oracle Forms

I came from .NET development specifically Visual Basic.

I recently ventured Oracle Development with my new Employer.

I interpreted Built-ins as equivalent to functions/procedures with VB. At first I had a difficult time trying to find out which built-in is for this and for that...

What I am trying to say is that.... can anybody give me some Oracle Developer's common built-ins used for Business Apps. And please provide some samples if you prefer. And can anybody explain to me the programming style of Oracle Forms. My first impression of it as DB direct programming because you can code PL/SQL, or does it have a multi-tier architecture whatsoever...

Help!

Please point me to the right direction.
Re: Built-ins make me sick! [message #126094 is a reply to message #126091] Thu, 30 June 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Do you have to use Forms Developer for this new Employer? What version are they using?

I recommend that you look at the site http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/9i_forms.html#9iforms and follow the links from there.

Also go to http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/forms.html and do a find on 'Guidelines for Building Applications'. Download it and skim read it to get an idea of which built-ins and triggers to use.

Remember: there are two types of built-ins - restricted and unrestricted. Some triggers don't support restricted built-ins (which are mainly navigation type built-ins). For example, the When-Validate-Item trigger DOESN'T support navigation. You will have to get your head around non-navigation capable triggers.

A new product HTML_DB _may_ give you the functionality your employer requires. If you are writing an application from scratch and have no previous forms experience then HTML_DB is probably the better option for creating a small application, quickly. Especially in an organisation that has no Forms history.

David

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2005 22:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Built-ins make me sick! [message #126101 is a reply to message #126091] Thu, 30 June 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
code_scavenger
Yes, Oracle Forms 6i to be exact.

Thanks David... I'll look into the links.
Re: Built-ins make me sick! [message #126276 is a reply to message #126091] Sat, 02 July 2005 14:27 Go to previous message
Steve Callan
See Form Builder Reference Guide. Volume I starts here:
http://download-west.oracle.com/otn_hosted_doc/forms/forms/A73074_01.pdf
Previous Topic: microsoft agent in forms
Next Topic: answer please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:22:08 CDT 2024