Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » One question
One question [message #133969] Mon, 22 August 2005 23:58 Go to next message
bhoite_amol83
Hi,
I am new in forms development. So I don't know what i am asking is right or not.
I want to know clear difference between Open_Form and call_form

As per my knowledge...........
Both OPEN_FORM and CALL_FORM opens forms keeping savepoint in the form.
SO, Waht is difference between in both.

Plz tell me ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
Amol.

Re: One question [message #133974 is a reply to message #133969] Tue, 23 August 2005 00:40 Go to previous message
Maaher
From Forms Builder Help:
OPEN_FORM
Opens the indicated form. Use OPEN_FORM to create multiple-form applications, that is, applications that open more than one form at the same time.
  • Whether you open a form with ACTIVATE or NO_ACTIVATE specified, any startup triggers that would normally fire will execute in the opened form. (However, see the usage note regarding SESSION-specified below.)
  • When you open a form with ACTIVATE specified (the default), the opened form receives focus immediately; trigger statements that follow the call to OPEN_FORM never execute.
  • When you open a form with NO_ACTIVATE specified, trigger statements that follow the call to OPEN_FORM will execute after the opened form has been loaded into memory and its initial start-up triggers have fired.
  • When you open a form with SESSION specified, the PRE-LOGON, ON-LOGON, and POST-LOGON triggers will not fire.
  • If the form that issues the OPEN_FORM built-in is running in QUERY_ONLY mode, then the opened form will also run in QUERY_ONLY mode.
  • On Microsoft Windows, if any window in the form that opens the independent form is maximized, the first window displayed by the opened form will also be maximized, regardless of its original design-time setting. (The GUI display state of a window is controlled by the Window_State property.)
  • For most applications, you should avoid using OPEN_FORM with forms that contain root windows. Because there can be only one root window displayed at a time, canvases that are assigned to the root window in the current form and in the opened form will be displayed in the same window. This causes the opened form to "take over" the root window from the original form, thus hiding the canvases in the original form partially or completely.

CALL_FORM
Runs an indicated form while keeping the parent form active. Form Builder runs the called form with the same Runform preferences as the parent form. When the called form is exited Form Builder processing resumes in the calling form at the point from which you initiated the call to CALL_FORM.
[LIST]Form Builder ignores the query_mode parameter when the calling form is running in QUERY_ONLY mode. Form Builder runs any form that is called from a QUERY_ONLY form as a QUERY_ONLY form, even if the CALL_FORM syntax specifies that the called form is to run in NO_QUERY_ONLY (normal) mode.

Restrictions for call_form:
  • A parameter list passed to a form via CALL_FORM cannot contain parameters of type DATA_PARAMETER. Only text parameters can be passed with CALL_FORM.
  • Some memory allocated for CALL_FORM is not deallocated until the Runform session ends. Exercise caution when creating a large stack of called forms.
  • When you execute CALL_FORM in a Pre-Logon, On-Logon, or Post-Logon trigger, always specify the DO_REPLACE parameter to replace the calling form's menu with the called form's menu. Failing to specify DO_REPLACE will result in no menu being displayed for the called form. (An alternative solution is to call the REPLACE_MENU built-in from a When-New-Form-Instance trigger in the called form.)

Basically it's like this:
- call_form: open another form in modal mode ( you cannot return to the calling form without closing the called form).
- open_form: open another form in basic mode ( you can freely navigate between the two forms )
- new_form: exit the current form and open another one

Also, take a look at the different parameters you can specify.

MHE
Previous Topic: Form Animation
Next Topic: ORA-00001
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:25:03 CDT 2024